Carre Vert, Paris
About the Building
Carré Vert consists of five buildings all linked to each other, but from different dates of inception. The oldest building used to be a chocolate factory.
- BREEAM rating: Outstanding
- Score: 87.07 %
- Size: 18,939 m² SHON
- Stage: Post-Construction
- BREEAM version: 2009
Michel Janet, Managing Director, Wereldhave NV France says:
“BREEAM certification is a requisite to keep our properties competitive and sustainable whilst ensuring the durability of the tenant in the premises.”
Damien Liot, Technical Director, Wereldhave NV France says:
“Wereldhave chose BREEAM because of its international exposure and to evaluate our worldwide portfolio on the same basis.”
Overview of Environmental Features
- Existing structure and facade conservation
- Thermographic survey to prevent air leakage paths through the existing fabric
- Control and review of all roof terrace insulation and waterproofing
- Thermal evaluation and optimisation of the existing building under the national building regulation
- Replacement of the historical traditional cooling production by a geothermal system
- Replacement of all luminaries to reduce power installation
- Implementation of photovoltaic panels, solar thermal panels for hot water production, 2 wind turbines and urban solar lightings.
- Life cycle cost analysis for design decisions
- Adaptation of the lighting zones and thermal zoning of the tenant organisation
- Adaptation of the ventilation rates and the HVAC systems to ensure maximum indoor air quality
- Choice of low VOC emission finishing and VOC measurements campaign in progress
- Acoustic survey of the building and review of all acoustic bridges to ensure maximum user comfort
- Preservation of the gardens during refurbishment works
- Enhancement of the landscape with an ecologist survey (planting terrace, flower meadows)
- Implementation of a landscape management plan
- Implementation of cycle racks and amenities for building users
- Close commissioning management throughout the three construction works periods
- Work on the building user guide with the tenant and publication through the building website
- Implementation of an on-site sustainable water treatment and reuse of the treated water within the toilets
- Leak detection system and sanitary supply shut off valves implemented on all toilet blocks
- Replacement of the BMS to a more developed and adapted one for the building
- Review of the waste storage locations and implementation of a composting device
The BREEAM Assessment
- Health and Wellbeing score 100%
- Waste 100%
- Land Use and Ecology 90%
- Transport 88.89%
- Water 88.89%
- Materials 76.92%
- Energy 73.91%
- Management 63.64%
- Pollution 58.33%
- Cooling production is provided through two geothermal heat pumps which dispatch into the building through a cooled water loop.
- The heating system relies on convector supplied with grid electricity controlled through the BMS.
- Fresh air rate of over 36m3/h/occ is provided through air conditioning centrals (CTA) into the offices, connected with CO2 detectors.
- Electricity generated with 400 m² solar panels and 2 urban wind turbines.
- Solar thermal panels save energy for the hot water system connected to restaurants.
- Replacement of the two air to air heat installed on terrace by two geothermal heat pumps.
- Refrigerant detection system on the geothermal heat pumps technical local.
- Additional thermal isolation on the roof.
- 400 m² photovoltaic panels.
- 60 m² solar thermal panels for hot water production.
- 2 urban wind turbines.
- Green roofing with sebum helping rainwater run-off and thermal isolation
- Rainwater recycling system for irrigation and toilets
- Sink water treatment recycling for toilets
Project Team Details
EDF (tenant), Wereldhave (landlord) and other stakeholders and users, including BREEAM Assessors Greenaffair, the architect and contractors have created a very dynamic and proactive team in order to succeed. Everybody at Carré Vert is now concerned with sustainability and ready for the next step with BREEAM In-Use.
Carré Vert, 45-49 rue Kléber, 92300 Levallois Perret, France, was assessed under BREEAM Europe Commercial 2009: Offices
- BREEAM Ref: GREA-BIB-CM21-4
- Assessor organisation: GreenAffair
- Assessor: Charlotte Miriel
- Client: Wereldhave
- Score: 87.07% Outstanding