Houseblock 1, HMP Parc, Bridgend, UK
The building is a new 10,500m2 houseblock built as part of the £47m expansion of the existing Parc Prison & Young Offenders Institution in Bridgend, South Wales.
The houseblock includes 326 cells, arranged in blocks, connected to one another by links which house general office type accommodation.
Sustainability was at the heart of the design, with the target to achieve the NOMS requirements for a BREEAM Excellent.
Features of the building:
- Natural ventilation and good daylight in the majority of the areas (offices and cells)
- 14% reduction in the building’s CO2 emissions through closed-loop geothermal boreholes
- Low water-use sanitary fittings and rainwater recycling
- More than 80% A/A+ rated building elements and hard landscaping
- Best practice construction site management, achieving full credits in the ‘Management’ and ‘Construction Site Waste’ categories