ABOUT THE BUILDING
So Ouest is the major refurbishment and new extension of the existing Eiffel shopping centre in the centre of Levallois-Perret, a suburb of Paris. It includes over a hundred stores of different sizes and also over a thousand of parking spaces contained in the substructure. The development recreates a commercial street and area, with a publicly accessible urban garden. It represents over 48,4002 in total area. The development is owned by SCI Eiffel Levallois Commerces on behalf of Unibail-Rodamco and will be managed and operated by the teams from Espace Expansion, a Unibail-Rodamco operating subsidiary.
So Ouest is the first European shopping centre to be certified Excellent under the BREEAM Europe: Retail 2009 scheme. The major refurbishment and extension of the 48,500m2 shopping centre in the Parisian suburb of Levallois-Perret, achieved a final BREEAM score of 78%. Key features of the development include:
- 100% green leases with tenants to ensure sustainability performance is upheld.
- a full dynamic thermal study (including tenants’ areas) helping to reduce energy consumption to 36% less than the required national standards.
- connection to local urban heating and cooling network.
- 10,000m2 new planted areas and 10.000m2 of green roof to recreate wildlife habitat and encourage biodiversity.
- Specialist lighting study to increase comfort for visitors and tenants.
FRANÇOIS CANTIN, GROUP SUSTAINABILITY DIRECTOR AT UNIBAIL-RODAMCO SAYS:
“So Ouest drives the market towards the best level of sustainability achievements for retail in Europe, maximising comfort and wellbeing for visitors and minimising the overall carbon impact of the asset. It is the first shopping centre in Europe to achieve this remarkable performance, which confirms the commitment of the Group’s development teams and sustainability culture within the company.”
CHARLOTTE MIRIEL, INNOVATIVE PROJECTS DIRECTOR FOR BREEAM ASSESSORS GREENAFFAIR, SAYS:
“BREEAM certification was deeply embedded at each phase of the project, from design to commissioning. For us, So Ouest is the new environmental European standard for a shopping centre.”
- BREEAM rating: Excellent
- Score: 78.39%
- Size: 48,500m2
- Stage: Post-Construction
- BREEAM version: Europe Commercial 2009
PROJECT TEAM DETAILS
- Client: SCI Eiffel Levallois Commerces, on behalf of Unibail-Rodamco
- Project Manager: Semarelp
- Architect: Epstein & Glaiman & Saguez & Partners
- BREEAM Assessor: GreenAffair
- Structural Engineer: SNC LAVALIN,
- HVAC/Plumbing/Electrical Engineer: SNC LAVALIN