- Scheme & Version: BREEAM International Refurbishment & Fit-out 2015: Refurbishment
- Stage: Final
- Location: Kalisz Wielkopolskie
- Score & Rating: 34.4% Pass
- Certificate Number: BREEAM-0067-1990
- Client/Project Developer: Antczak Calisia Spolka Komandytowa
- BREEAM Assessor: WSP Polska Sp. z o.o.
- Investor & Investment Initiator: Marcin Antczak
About the Building
CALISIA ONE is the first post-industrial building in Poland to have undergone deep modernization, revitalization and change of function. Founded by Arnold Fibiger in 1873 as a Calisia piano factory, it thrived and was a showpiece of Kalisz until 2007. Unfortunately, it lost its splendor in later years.
A local developer therefore decided to bring back the building’s glory days; with the whole building undergoing reconstruction in close cooperation with the conservator of monuments. Today it is a category A office space with a boutique character.
One of the most important pro-ecological features of CALISIA ONE is its circularity due to the reuse of structures and foundations, as well as the recovery and re-use of some building materials. The construction was carried out in accordance with strict certification requirements, taking care both of the impact of the construction on the environment and the appropriate conditions of work standard of the employees.
The building has energy-efficient elevators, modern outdoor lighting and water-saving fittings. In the open courtyard, recommendations of a qualified ecologist were introduced, emphasizing the investment into nature. Moreover, the layout of the floors in the building allowed for flexible and effective arrangement of the office space.
As one of the few certified buildings in Poland, CALISIA ONE can boast of obtaining the maximum score in Man 01 category. This means that the inhabitants of Kalisz had an indirect influence on project. The investor listened to all suggestions and included the most interesting proposals in the project.
Benefits of BREEAM Certification
CALISIA ONE has gained recognition in Poland as the first post-industrial building to received the BREEAM RFO final certificate.
There is no doubt that BREEAM certification requirements led to the standard of construction workers increasing significantly. Water efficient fixtures have been implemented which contribute to significant water savings for the whole building and the wonderful biodiverse garden has been designed in accordance with the requirements of the ecologist’s report. Such approach means people and the local community can enjoy the beautiful greenery around the building.
“The awarded certificate complements our commitment and confirms that the organization is able to implement investments according to the highest standards and requirements set by today’s real estate market.”
Marcin Antczak, Investor and Investment Initiator
- Increased staff satisfaction.
- Introducing BREEAM to a local market where previously it was not popular.
- Increasing the building’s value showing the local market the value of BREEAM certification.
- Fame for being the first post-industrial building that received the BREEAM RFO final certificate.
- Maximum points in Management 01
- Maximum points in Transport 02