HMP Maidstone is based in the centre of the town Maidstone and has been present on this site since 1810. It was designed by architect Daniel Asher Alexander and was constructed using local Kentish ragstone quarried from the site. The building dates back almost 200 years.
The Ministry of Justice, National Offender Management Service required the major refurbishment of the Weald Wing accommodation block in HMP Maidstone due to the ageing nature of the facilities. This project exceeded the Government targets on sustainability to achieve a BREEAM Excellent rating on all new builds and a Very Good rating on major refurbishments. The Weald Wing is a four-storey Victorian structure with seven listed features and houses occupants at the category C listed prison.
The works entailed a complete refurbishment of the wing and included refurbishing all the cells, new windows and doors to current standards, replacement of all building services including heating, ventilation, cell call, general alarms, lighting and power, creation of additional cellular accommodation places, extending the landings and balconies using new balustrading and steel stair cases manufactured by prisoners from across the estate and supplied through Prison Service Industries. .