CORUÑA THE STYLE OUTLETS IS AN OUTLET SHOPPING CENTRE WITH MORE THAN SEVENTY SHOPS LOCATED NEAR A CORUÑA ON THE NORTH WEST OF SPAIN.
It is situated on a former industrial site. Opened to the public in May 2011, the development originally obtained a50.90% (Good) rating under BREEAM Europe Commercial 2008 certification at post-construction stage. Neinver La Toja S.L.U developed the building, is the owner and also manages the centre. It is a stand-alone centre that comprises sales areas, restaurants and common areas including a commercial corridor (mall). There is also a management office and plant rooms, over- and underground parking.
BREEAM In-Use certification in A Coruña is part of Neinver’s corporate sustainability strategy. The company is in the certification process for fourteen centres in five European countries (Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany and Poland) in 2013.
ROSA LÓPEZ, ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY MANAGER, NEINVER SAYS:
“The ultimate goal is to incorporate the concept of sustainability into each and every business activity of the company, to reduce the business’s total carbon footprint. Using BREEAM in our sustainability strategy means we focus not only on the buildings’ initial design and construction phase, but we also keep in mind the best, most efficient maintenance and upkeep once the facilities are in use.”
OVERVIEW OF ENVIRONMENTAL FEATURES
Key features of the development which helped towards its BREEAM In-Use rating include:
- Daylighting provision (+35% of the area)
- Carefully designed office space to optimise occupants’ health and wellbeing
- External lighting meeting energy and low sky pollution criteria
- Public transport systems chosen for energy efficiency; free electric chargers for electric cars and cyclist facilities
- Lift and escalators are optimised and managed to reduce energy consumption
- Reduction of demand for potable water, with consumption monitoring and automatic leak detection system
- CO2 detectors to monitor air quality
- Natural light sensors to control internal lightning power needs
The building scored particularly well in Part 2 of the BREEAM In-Use assessment recording individual scores in the following categories:
- Energy, 87.04%
- Management, 81.82%
- Materials, 81.82%
BUILDING SERVICES AND GREEN STRATEGY
- Centralised building management system (BMS) monitors energy and water, consumption, internal and external lightning control and air quality.
- Existing lightning fixtures were changed for LEDs, saving up to 70% of the installed power
- The centre manages more wastes that goes beyond the initial BREEAM requirement, including organic waste, plastic, batteries, fluorescents, paper, toner and electronic devices
- Client : Neinver La Toja SLU
- Size: 12,210 m2 Gross Lettable Area
- Scheme: BREEAM In-Use España 2013
- BREEAM Assessor: Almudena Rodero, Arup Spain
For further information on BREEAM ES go to www.breeam.es ITG operates BREEAM ES as National Scheme Operator for Spain under licence from BRE Global.