This 175.5m2 building at Tollgate West in Colchester was developed by British Land Company as a Costa Coffee outlet. The BREEAM assessment was undertaken as part of British Land Company’s public commitment to responsible construction.
BREEAM rating: Very Good
Stage: Post Construction
BREEAM version: Retail 4.0
- All of the major building materials and the hard standing specified by the architect were all A or A+ rated materials.
- The contractor responsible for the ground works around the site confirmed that at least 75% of the aggregates used were from recycled aggregates.
- Low water consuming sanitary ware and sanitary supply shut off valves were specified, gaining maximum credits under this element of the assessment.
- The building utilises natural daylight in the main serving and sales area. The lighting is energy efficient, high frequency lighting on all florescent fittings. External lighting is controlled by daylighting sensors to reduce unnecessary energy consumption.
- As part of the construction, covered secure cyclist facilities were installed.
THE BREEAM ASSESSMENT
BREEAM scores included:
- Water 77.8%
- Health & wellbeing 77.7%
- Management 60%
- Pollution 58.33%
- Transport 54.55%
- Materials 53.85%
- Energy 52.38%
PROJECT TEAM DETAILS
The project team included:
Developer: The British Land Company PLC – Sarah Cary
Project manager: Rex Procter – Darren Chessun
Architect: Mountford Pigott – Darko Teslich
Main contractor: Huttons Construction – Bryan Shears
Assessor organisation: Synergy BSS Ltd – Joseph Hodgkinson