Located on the Jatte island in the affluent neighbourhoods of western Paris, the building was originally designed and built in the early 70’s, as the former headquarters of the famous fashion brand Yves Saint Laurent. The refurbishment will develop a net floor area of 6900m2 that will feature office space over 7 floors. In July 2017, the project achieved BREEAM Design Stage ‘Very Good’ certification with a score of 64%. The construction project is currently still ongoing and the hand over is planned for spring 2018.
The main objectives of this full refurbishment are to bring the building in line with today’s standards, improve comfort for occupiers and ensure high thermal performance of the building envelope and services.
The project’s sustainability strengths are:
- High level energy performance: the project received in design stage the “BBC label effinergie rénovation” which is a French label that rewards the best building refurbishments for energy performance. The main criterion of this label is to achieve a primary energy consumption (CEP) 40% lower than the French standard consumption. At design stage, the project has achieved a reduction of 59.70% compared to the standard CEP.
- Specification of efficient and innovative equipment to limit consumption and increase occupant comfort.
- Thermally activated ceiling panels allowing heating and cooling and flexibility of the layouts of indoor spaces.
- Very good public traffic connections, cycle storage, cyclists changing facilities and electric recharging stations provided to encourage building users to utilise sustainable modes of transport.
- The landscaping design of the project is very ambitious with 30% of the plot dedicated to green spaces and gardens. The landscape designers collaborated with an ecologist to select vegetal species. Moreover, the ecologist made recommendations to enhance the ecology of the site all of which have been implemented, these included bird and insect boxes.
- Rainwater harvesting to provide irrigation and maintenance needs.
- The specified BMS enables:
- complete control of HVAC and electricity services operation
- metering and sub-metering for water and energy consumption
- natural lighting and thermal comfort operation
- High indoor air quality: selection of low-emitting finishes and post-construction measurements.
Property owner: Officiis Properties Paris Ouest 1 SAS
Owner delegate: SOGELYM-DIXENCE
Architect and Project Manager: ATELIERS 115
General contractor: EIFFAGE Construction Tertiaire
BREEAM AP: ARTELIA Bâtiment et Industrie
All photos credited to: Officiis Properties Paris Ouest 1 SAS